A Complaint Free World

Yesterday I heard that someplace in New England was going to have -35 degree weather. Minus 35 degrees? How is that even possible? The temperatures dropped some in Florida. I think it’s going to dip into the 50’s tonight. I’ve actually heard people complain about it being too cold.

Complaining seems to come naturally for most people. It must be one of those conditions God programmed into humans around the same time he came up with the idea of free will. One might ask, what was He thinking? But really what would be the point? God is God and no doubt He had a pretty good reason(s) for the things He created.

I don’t think humans are the only species that complain. I heard a mocking bird the other day who was pretty upset about something. And my dog was none too happy about having a visiting dog get living room privileges when she was locked up for having poor manners. The cat, however, doesn’t complain. He just turns his nose up and walks away. Maybe he’s on to something!

Even though I consider myself to be a nice person, a relatively patient person, and a person who has a slow boiling point rather than a short fuse (this particular fact could be a matter for debate between people who have known me for years. However, since it’s my blog, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!), I’ve discovered recently that I’m more of a complainer than I thought.

I read a newspaper article not long ago about a church in Kansas City whose preacher challenged his congregation to stop complaining for 21 days. As a reminder he passed out purple bracelets with the word “Spirit” imprinted on them. By putting the bracelet on, you make a conscious decision to stop complaining, gossiping or criticizing.

According to the www.acomplaintfreeworld.org website “Scientists believe it takes 21 days to form a new habit and complaining is habitual for most of us. The bracelet is a powerful tool to remind you of how well you are creating your life with positive intention.”

Here’s how it works: "1. Begin to wear the bracelet, on either wrist. 2. When you catch yourself complaining, gossiping or criticizing (it’s ok, everyone does) move the bracelet to the other arm and begin again. 3. If you hear someone else who is wearing a bracelet complain, you may point out their need to switch the bracelet to the other arm; BUT if you’re going to do this, you must move your bracelet first! 4. Stay with it. It may take many months but when you reach 21 days you will find that your entire life is happier, more loving, more positive and more abundant.”

It sounds easy, but let me tell you it’s not. I’ve been wearing my purple band for three weeks, and haven’t made it two days without changing arms. Last Sunday, I even had to change it in the in the middle of the church service, which was kind of a wake up call for me.

So what’s all this complaining about anyway? Does it do any good to gripe about the weather – too hot, or too cold? Does the line move any faster at McDonald’s if you fuss and fume about the poor service? Does talking about someone else, build you up or tear you down? Is it easier to go out in the back yard and clean up the dog poop, or sit inside and bitch about how nice it would be if the dog shat in your neighbor’s yard? Think about it, then maybe you’ll want to take the challenge.

I’m all for a grass-roots effort that will change the world. Maybe it’s a grandiose idea and will never get off the ground, but how will we know if we don’t try? So far over 126,000 purple bracelets have been sent to countries all over the world. Curiously if you go to the Christ Church Unity website you will see the names of only 20 people who have achieved the 21-day goal. No doubt we’ve got a long way to go, but if everyone joins in we can change the world one person at a time! Koombaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish for you a world without complaints or cold weather that makes your teeth chatter.

Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review