Crabby Appleton, P.S.S.

1. First of, thank you to all my "sweet", smart, lovable commenting friends. I read something in Terri's book last night, which I cannot remember this morning, but it was along the lines of friends being life preservers. Indeed you are my inflatable, orange vest(s) and I love you.

2. Per Qn Dani: What I didn't say in yesterday's post was this. I'm in that place where I don't think I can leave. Not because I can't, but because I'm afraid of what will happen if I do. Last night, for example, Dad slept til I got home, wouldn't eat til I made it for him, then sat in silence (punishment?) til nearly 11pm. Plus, I just really, really, really don't want him to die when I'm out having some respite. Isn't there time enough afterwards for respite? I plan on a 20-year nap a la Rip Van Winkle.

3. I am laughing at the knowledge that you all remember Crabby Appleton. I actually only remembered the name. So I googled it and was transported back to the days of Captain Kangaroo and Cheerios. Memories of Tom Terrific and his Might dog Manfred which had been lying dormant for countless years came flooding back. And Mr. Moose, and Bunny Rabbit. Ah, those were the days my friend!

Po, did you remember "rotten to the core" all on your own or did you have some googly help?

4. Lesson learned: There may be no better respite in the world than having dinner with my Sweetie, then strolling through Barnes & Noble. I looked at magazines (I think it's cheating to read and not buy but I was on a scouting, not buying, mission) soaked up the energy in the Children's section (a small lad under the watchful eye of his father climbed on a stool, and was on his way to a precariously high shelf before Dad said to get down. I laughed out loud and commented to the dad why he was ruining all the fun! Dad was looking harried, but still had time to enjoy the moment. The good news is that no one got hurt and the book-shelf police were none the wiser. Had I been the mother, I would have been appalled. As it was, I thought the whole scene simply delightful), saw young lovers making out near the sex section, discovered in the music section that Shell Silverstein of Where the Sidewalk Ends and Giving Tree Fame, was also a song writer and there is a CD out with his songs sung by various artists, (Boy named Sue, who knew?) and soaked up all the book energy. I only bought one thing - a Vivaldi cd. Four Seasons, yum.

I don't know how crabby I'll be today. I'd like to think not very. Regardless, I am blessed to know that people support me, even in my crabbiness. I read that as proof I'm not crabby to the core which means, even though it could go either way, there is still hope!

Wishing for each of you a life preserver with a big whistle and a florescent chem lite to crack open so you will know you are safe (like I do),
Merry ME


P.S. Next time you are in a book store take a gander at this book by Carol Buckley. It will make you weep, but it will also make you smile way down deep in your heart.



Comments

Pamela Jones said…
What? GOOGLE Captain Kangaroo? Puh-leeze. He is eternally etched into my consciousness. And remember, "it's another 'be good to mother' day." (So try to help in every way, be as good as you can so you can say, "I've done my best, I've tried today.") Google. hmpf.

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review