Savannah - Day 2

"May you experience each day as a sacred gift
woven around the heart of wonder."
John O'Donohue


Let it not be said that we left Savannah without strolling down River Street like the true tourists we are. There were postcards and T-shirts and souvenirs yet to buy! It was a cool day and being near the river made it even chillier. Not cold. Just the right temperature for wrapping up in my new Pashima stole - at 50% off I couldn't resist.


I channeled my inner Po [36500 words]to attempt to take some bird pictures. The winged beauties in question seemed to pose and wait for me to do my thing.


[It seemed a little weird to me that this bird let me get so close to him. Now I see that his eyes were closed! Obviously he'd had his picture taken more than once and was no longer camera shy.]

[What you don't see in this picture is the entrance to the candy store. Once I put my camera away this bird headed straight for the door. The smell of chocolate covered pecans was too much even for a bird to resist.]


Heading out of Savannah we decided again to take the alternate route instead of the Interstate. We by-passed the normal traffic and boring view of I-95 which was good. However the road we chose ran along the side of miles of defoliated and de-treed woodlands. Bulldozers and shovel-trucks chewed gaping holes in the landscape. It is just my opinion but I believe the world does NOT need another 4 lane highway, the cost of which has to be in the millions of dollars and too high to count in the destroying of natural beauty. I found it kind of depressing. Do you think trees cry when they are cut down? I felt like crying looking at the carnage.


Near the exit that would take us toward the coast we stopped for a brief repast and potty break. In the South it is not unusual for such rest stops to sit next to, or around the corner from a store selling enough fireworks to light up the sky in 4th of July fashion. What is unusual is for the fireworks seller to employ gigantic cement elephants to attract customers. Well, I couldn't resist. It was a photo op not to be missed.


[It's taking me more than a few tries to get the hang of this self-portrait style of photography. I must say, however, that this one might be as good as it gets! Look at my Sweetie smile!]


We got to the outskirts of Charleston just as evening traffic began. We found the B&B where we are staying, settled in and decided to wait til tomorrow to hit the ground running.


The whole point of this vacation was to get out of Dodge, so to speak - to shed some of the sadness that has been hanging around my shoulders like my new scarf. Is it coincidence or God that everywhere I look I'm finding reminders that happiness does exist. One may have to look for it, or choose it, but, if she keeps her eyes peeled, she can't miss it. Sort of like a gigantic pink elephant on the side of the road.



Wishing for you happiness where you least expect it,

Merry ME


Comments

Fire Byrd said…
So happy that you are seeing the signs everywhere of taking happieness where and when you can.
You might be interested in a book called The Celestine Prophecy (its American)which looks at how the signs are always around us if we care to use our intuiation rather than our head space.
QnDani said…
Ok, so what I want to know about is the quadruple layer chocolate cake and Paula Deen!!

I have always wanted to go to Savannah and Charleston - thanks for the pics and "taking me along" on the trip out of dodge!!

:-)
terri st. cloud said…
i am loving this getaway! feel like i'm on it too! :) loved the elephants! made me want to make my own!!! hmmmm....wonder if i could...
Pamela Jones said…
Nice birds, Mar...I think the gull just blinked. He probably was dazzled by your brilliance.

Love you!
JoyZAChoice said…
BEAUTIFUL!!! I must confess: I've been a bit remiss of late (reading your delicious posts)..but I MADE time today...and am grinning my way through all those I've missed. Have I told you lately just how much I ADORE the way you write??? You, my friend, have a super-ultra gift!

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review