Short Post ... Tall Order

A guest at our annual Chat Noir Extravaganza a few years ago, told me I remind her of Erma Bombeck. Seriously? Me?  I think I stopped listening after that, imagining myself in the same humor stratosphere as Erma made me dizzy. Not to mention a bit puffed up.

I just read an article from The Erma Bombeck Writer's Worshop by Polly Scott*. In the article the author lists 5 ways to write a funny blog post.  Sadly, I'll have to change my whole style of writing if I am to follow Ms Scott's rules. 

First she suggests keeping posts under 300 words. Dang. I'm just getting started at 300 words. 


And she says to use short, choppy sentences. Come on folks, I've never met a run-on sentence I didn't like and want to bring home to dinner.  


And one-sentence paragraphs? What's up with that?


I'm all for learning new things, but the truth is I like my way of doing things better. Guess I've got a long way to go to be in the Erma Bombeck league.

Photo by Sorrow
That said, I'm going to keep this post short (short being a relative term). Mainly because I'm not going to write it. Instead I'm going to send you over to my friend Illuminary's blog.  Sorrow and I have become "Cohorts in Cahoots" and made 3 three quilts for the soul purpose of giving them away to worthy people/causes. I must say, I love being She of Many Names' Cohort.  Please check out her recent post that tells about the Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary fundraiser where our whimsical barnyard quilt will be up for auction.

We're rapidly approaching that time of year when lots of people and worthy causes will have their hands out asking for donations. You alone have to make the decisions about where and who you give your hard-earned dollars to. I think if you check out the PSAS, you'll see why Sorrow and I offered to help them out.

Please read Illuminary's post. You'll be glad you did.
Merry ME

*Inspired by the 2012 Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop, Polly Scott wrote and published a book, Forget About Grammar: How to Write a Better Blog Post. She teaches an online writing course and writes a humor blog, Coming to Grips.

Comments

nitebyrd said…
Sorrow is such a beautiful soul. How wonderful y'all are "in cahoots" for good causes. You're both so talented!

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review