... another begins

"Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning
but a going on,
with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us."
Hal Borland


I went to visit some long-time friends today. Identical twin girls whom I first met when they were just toddlers (39 years ago!) are all grown up with children of their own. It was fun seeing them. It was fun being surrounded by the energy of children, not an old person. I learned that it's not being a parent these days.

I know what you're thinking - has it ever been easy to be a parent? Probably not. But, today I heard about living with juvenile diabetes, autism, sensory overload, ear aches and teenagers. Thank goodness for grandparents!


While I was driving home I listened to an NPR interview with an author who wrote a book about old people and wisdom.* Along with obviously trying to sell a book, the interviewer asked this question of his radio listeners:

Wisdom is _________.

How would you fill in the blank?I'm going to ask the question at the dinner and see what kind of answers I get. Personally I think the words of "The Gambler" are as good a definition of wisdom as any ".... you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run ..." That pretty much covers all circumstances where being wise counts most, don't you think?

Hoping you'll find wisdom in the year ahead,
Merry ME


*Writer Henry Alford talks about searching for wisdom by criss-crossing the country to interview people over the age of 70. His findings make up a new book entitled How to Live: A Search for Wisdom From Old People. http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/books/70172/old-joy

Comments

terri st. cloud said…
ohhh!!!
what a GREAT question!!!!

and i have NO answer!
tells ya how wise i am!

gonna give it lots of thought tho!!
thanks for asking it...

and i think i'm with you.....not
sure anyone can top the gambler lyrics!
Sorrow said…
i'm hearing kenny rogers in my head...
yep
wise words indeed.
I find the wisest words i ever hear come out of the mouths of children..

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review