It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To ....

... only, I really don't want to. I just can't help it.

I tried to post something last night. Every time I thought of what to say my eyes started leaking. My tears are always at the edge of my eyes ready to fall these days. My birthday was no exception. I was gifted with delightful presents, kind thoughts, and much love. It felt ungrateful to cry. So, I basked in the birthday limelight birthday, then wept in silence when no one was around. I just couldn't write much.

Except, of course, at church where I'm like the spiritual version of Niagara Falls, I'm feeling a little less boo-hooy today. I'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you everyone who did so much to make my special day special. I've pretty much made it known that birthdays, mine in particular, are for celebrating. Yet, as my day approached, I didn't think I was going to be up to it. But, I was pleasantly surprised and my mood lifted with every card that came in the mail. On Friday when not one, but two, bokays arrived I felt my feet gearing up to do the happy dance! Yesterday I received books, a CD, a new camera, a hand-made mug and several birthday songs left on my answering machine. As I unwrapped each gift and listened to each song, I felt wrapped in love, which, not surprisingly, made me cry!

I also felt a kind of sadness I couldn't explain until last night. I finally recognized it was Little ME, aka Carolyn, who was so sad. My grown-up adult persona understands about loss and grieving. But Carolyn only knows she felt sad and lonely. It was the first birthday she'd ever had without her parents being in this world to share the joy of the day. There would be no phone call or birthday hug or reminder of what happened on that day so many years ago. No mom to tell of crossing over the bridge twice from San Francisco to Oakland in one day. No dad to give a pinch to grow an inch. I'm 59, feeling like an orphan and wanting to crawl up into my Daddy's lap and have him tell me everything's going to be okay. Only he's not here. While I'm sure that someday everything will be okay, right now, birthday or not, it doesn't feel like it. Boo hoo.

As my grandmother, a true believer in making the most of every birthday, would say I'm beginning my 60th year. It looms large and feels kind of scary. One of these days I know I'm going to peer through my tears and see all kinds of adventure and opportunity waiting for me. All I'll have to do is pick up my feet and walk in the direction of my hopes and dreams. That's what birthdays are for, aren't they? To awaken the child in us who can still make wishes come true by blowing out candles.

Thanks to all of you. I am blessed. Not just on my birthday but everyday.

Wishing for you a big piece of cake even if it's not your birthday.
Merry ME

Comments

Fire Byrd said…
Being an orphan sucks at any age.
It eases with time that wanting Mummy and Daddy, but it never goes away,'specially not on Birthdays and bad days.It is as you say our inner child wanting to be hugged better by their parent. We have to learn to do it for ourselves.
I just end up talking out loud to them on walks with trix when it's tough going. I always come back feeling as if they have heard.
Happy belated birthday as well!
xx
terri st. cloud said…
i can't believe it got by me except for seeing it on facebook!!! thank goodness for facebook!
glad you got loved good.....
and glad you're hearin' your inner child......
QnDani said…
hanging my head.....I missed such an important day - your birthday. Good thing you have a birth month (instead of just a day) and I still have time to send some (lots) of lovin' and celebrating your way.

XXOO
Here's to you and your party Mz Merry Merry! I love that you are honest enough, courageous enough, to cry at your own party! Happy Birthday to you my sweet friend! I wish I could share an icecream cake and a hug with you!!
AkasaWolfSong said…
Awww...how could I not know it was your Birthday? Seriously!
So now I wish for you a Happy Belated Birthday and say celebrate it long and any way you want to. Tears are good too!

I certainly understand the place of not having parents to celebrate your special day with and it leaves you feeling rootless doesn't it? At least it has for me. I also know that they were with you in Spirit and probably watching over you my Beloved Sister/Friend!
And as for candles on the birthday cake it is the first self-ritual we ever perform..so go and light a candle for yourself my Beautiful, Precious One! I will too! Even if we have to go and buy a Hostess Twinkie, lol! I love you Miss Mary! I sure do! Happy Birthday!
JoyZAChoice said…
Wishing you a HUGE Birthday hug...and loads of love, Miz Merry. And...for what it's worth, crying, whether in joy or sadness, is a RELEASE. And I promise you, one day, not far in the future, your sadness will have washed away and all you will remember is the JOY. It does happen. Just you wait and see.
Hugs, Bella

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review