Looking Back/Looking Ahead Part 2

I guess I'm not the only one using these last few days of 2011 to look back and take stock. My pen pal and blog friend Molly, commented on my last post about a site she found. Cortney Carver of bemorewithless suggests making a love list:


Instead of firm goal setting or setting resolutions, make a list of the things you’d love to do or start doing in 2012. A new year allows for a fresh start, clean slate or new approach. Actually, you can create those things for yourself anytime, but a new year is a special invitation to be bold, brave, and different.

Make a love list for 2012 including every possible thing you would like to consider in life, love, business and relationships. What would you really love to do in 2012? What would you like to see? Who will you be and who will you be with in 2012?

Before you start your list, eliminate the roadblocks and dream killers. This is not a list for accountability. You won’t be crossing things off or crying over your undone tasks at the end of the year. Instead, use your list to fuel your creative pursuits and to encourage routine breaking behavior. Let your love list remind you what is most important in your life.

I actually kind of like this approach. I'm always saying I'd like to do this, or I wish I could do that, but often get distracted by the minutia of life and sadly, due to a few less brain cells than I once had, forget the things I thought might be fun. Making a love list, like picking a word for the new year, can help set the intention in a more positive way than making resolutions you probably won't keep anyway. Seriously if the choice is between "Lose 20 pounds" and I'd love to color a picture with every crayon from a brand new box of 64" which are you more likely to do?


Another list I'd like to make before the year ends is the one my daughter calls "Things that Moved Me." Weneki has been making this list for years and added some categories shows, and movies. Every year I look forward to her Christmas card, not just to see the picture(s) she picked but to read her list. I do admit, however, that sometimes when I read it I feel like I live under a rock because most of the bands, many of the movies and some of the food/beverages I've never heard of. As much as it is a good thing to look forward to things in the new year, I like the idea of taking note of the really special things from the year almost gone. Weneki keeps a notebook nearby at all times, I, sadly, rely on my aforementioned memory. Perhaps 2012 will be the year I start taking notes.

What moved you this year? What made you shiver with delight?

Today I'm grateful for a table for one by the window at my local Panera Bread, not to mention the bowl of soup, yummy salad, twist of baguette and cold iced tea. I'm grateful for a really cool pair of running shoes that don't crunch my toes or cause my feet to hurt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review