Two by Two

NaBloPoMo disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with food other than the promised recipes at the end. I've included two to make up for missing yesterday.

"Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy ...
Anger ... tears ... laughter..
It's when you want to be together despite it all.
That's when you truly love another. I've sure of it."*

After reading some of our earliest correspondence for my previous post, I spent time today thinking about my Sweetie and me. In doing so I had an "epi-phanny" of sorts. It occurred to me that even though we've only been together for 4 years, I have a vision of us as one of those couples you see in the Sunday newspaper who have been married for 50 or 60 years.
The vision, I know, is a little skewed. My sweetie and I are relative youngsters when it comes to the relationship longevity. Babes, you might say, in the proverbial relationship woods. Those newspaper couples have been tested by time; they've weathered the storms life has blown in their direction. They've laughed and cried and worked and played together. Its inevitable that they've shared both good times and bad. That's what marriage is all about.
My head knows that Sweetie and I have only been together for a short time, that we've got a lot of years ahead of us. Yet, even at this seratonin-challenged time in my life, my heart feels at home and okay with today. As he might say, "this is a good thing."
Along these same lines, and those of my previous post, here is a list of some great couples/friends that I'd like us to one day be a part of:

George Burns and Gracie Allen
Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn
Anthony and Cleopatra
Robin Hood and Maid Marion
Fred and Ginger
Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning
John and Abigail Adams
Tramp and Lady
Mickey and Minnie
Ricky and Lucy
Napoleon and Josephine
Wendy and Zubin
Bert and Ernie
John and YoKo
Prince Ranier and Grace Kelly
Winnie the Pooh and Piglet
John Denver and Annie

Wishing you love and friendship and many years to enjoy them,
Merry ME

July 6 and 7: Two all time favorites

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup vegetable shortening
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups uncooked oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt (optional)
½ tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and soda; mix well.

Drop by round teaspoonful onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake 11-13 minutes, or until the edges of golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Cool. Store tightly covered...

Variations: Add one cup of one or a combination of: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips or shredded coconut.

For larger cookies: Drop by rounded tablespoon onto the un-greased cookie sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes. Makes 2½ dozen.

For bar cookies: Press dough into the bottom of an un-greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 bars. From the lid of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening (part margarine)
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream sugars and shortening. Add peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla; blend well. Combine flour, soda and salt; add to peanut butter mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto GREASED baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
Note: I like to flatten out with the tines of a fork dipped in sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review