I've got a friend

"Friendship multiplies the goodness of life."

Balitasar Gracian (1601-1658)

I have a friend I haven't mentioned in awhile. My focus has been on either my father or me.
Still, no matter what, my friend is always there, waiting in the wings to listen, hold me, dry my tears, deal with my bitching, laugh at my outrageousness, share his Wavy chips with me and remind me that I am not alone.

On top of all that my friend is [mostly] patient with my father, biting his lip so not to scream at Dad driving his Jazzy wheelchair into every wall and doorway between the kitchen and the other end of the house. While it is not quite a touchy feel-ly relationship, it is respectful on both sides. On his way to the bathroom at night, my friend always stops in the doorway to Dad's bedroom to make sure everything is okay, that Dad is still breathing.

My friend is probably the most committed Guardian ad Litem there is in this neck of the woods. The kids he works for/with are lucky to have him as their advocate. Sadly some of them are so messed up they can't see the gift that is right in front of them and keep looking for the love they've never known in all the wrong places. It's frustrating, heart-breaking work, but my friend remains steadfast in his belief that there is hope for these broken kids. He shows up at court, detention centers, and group homes dressed professionally, with a positive attitude [that he maybe had to dig deep to find] and willingness to listen with his heart as well as his ears. He sets an example that hopefully one day will make a difference in troubled lives.

While I have been cursing the snails who think my garden was a leafy smorgasbord put there just for their delight, my friend has become a one-man snail rescuer. Every morning he goes to the pool and carefully picks out every snail that has crept into the pool and gotten too waterlogged to crawl out. This summer snails and dragonflies have become his animal totems.

  • Snail Totem: Snail retreats into itself and seals the entrance in dry weather to protect it's body from drying up. Those with this medicine know how to retreat when danger is present as well as seal themselves off from others. Knowing when to retreat and when to act is an important teaching for those with this totem. Snail medicine people have clear perceptions and need to learn to honor those abilities in all situations. Snail understands the value of slow movement and teaches us how to use that movement to our advantage. It holds the teaching of patience, perseverance and respect.
  • Dragonfly Totem: As a creature of the wind the dragonfly totem represents change. Creatures who habitat is in, or around water carry symbolism relative to the subconscious, or "dreaming" mind and thoughts. They ask that we pay attention to our deeper thoughts and desires.

I am not a student of animal symbology, but if I had to guess, these totems are just what my friend needs at this time in his life. It is kind of spooky that they have appeared just when my friend's "deep thoughts" keep returning to buying a motor home (the human equivalent of carrying your home on your back) se we can slowly and methodically travel around the country. Lately, my friend's dreams have also taken him to a seaside village in Belize - doesn't get much closer to a water habitat than that. Does anyone even know where Belize is?

Okay. I guess you've figured out my friend, is also my husband, my partner in life, my sidekick, my lover, my mirror, my advocate, my protector, my helper, my cheerleader, my sounding board all rolled up into my handsome Sweetie. With Sweetie by my side, I am blessed.

Like I said, I've been kind of pre-occupied lately. I haven't told him how much he means to me, so I think it's about time I shout it across the blogosphere.

Sweetie, it's not your birthday, our anniversary, Christmas or Thanksgiving, but I want you to know I am one happy, grateful woman to have you walk with me through this crazy thing called life .

I love you more than all the snails in my garden and all the dragonflies hovering over the swimming pool.

Wishing for each of you someone sweet to call "Friend"
Merry ME

P.S. Surprise! Surprise! Sweetie has finally written on his blog again.

Comments

AkasaWolfSong said…
I truly am so happy for you and Sweetie Mary...
I don't have a sweetie but if I did I'd want him to be alot like yours!

Many blessings wherever your journey leads you both!
xoxoxo
paradox said…
In the note/comment you sent to me you referred to your husband. I got sooooo confused...I had no idea you were married...I thought you had a boyfriend...bc you're always talking about this "sweetie"...lol...now I understand. And that is BEAUTIFUL!
Anonymous said…
"Cap'n jack" Golly, I look like I've just come in from a fishing boat, or fell off a south bound turnip truck. The sweetest part of life I've ever known has been as "Sweetie." Love ya, sweetie.

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review