Is it just me? Or is this a really dumb idea?

I see the moon,
And the moon sees me;
God bless the moon,
And God bless me!

In an effort to find out if there is water somewhere under the surface of the moon (my very un-scientific explanation) NASA sent a rocket hurtling into a lunar crater this morning.

Call me crazy, but I think bombing the hell out of the earth should be enough for anyone. While I understand the value of science, accept and appreciate it's impact on humanity, I don't believe there is any point in putting any more holes in the moon or any other planet for that matter. It seems rather ego-maniacal, doesn't it, to think we humans have the right to blast away other parts of the universe? And really, is finding water there going to be significant enough to warrant the cost and possible negative impact (pun intended!).

In a recent post I mentioned the well that has been installed in a remote area in Swaziland. Old grandmothers cried when they saw running water for the first time. I've read that Native Americans living on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona/New Mexico reside in homes that have dirt floors, no electricity and no running water. Um, excuse me, but perhaps NASA could funnel some of its moon water finding funds to the parts of the earth that need the life sustaining liquid.

In my mind there is also the "what if" factor. Yeh, I know I'm Chicken Little. But it seems to me that blowing a hole in the side of the moon, that plays an important part in the natural rhythms of the every day lives of people living on this planet, could, maybe, possibly have an adverse affect. Here's my reasoning. Take a soccer ball. Shoot a big hole in it. I don't know if it will deflate all the way or not, but it seems likely that it's going to be a little lopsided at the very least. Now, what if that soccer ball were the moon and hanging in orbit a little lopsided? Are the tides going to be messed up? If the tides get out of sync, what does that do to the oceans' inhabitants, or countrys' coastlines? What might happen to the menstrual cycle of women around the world? Does NASA really want to interfere with that? Worldwide PMS could be deadlier than earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis put together.

I'm all for the continuation of scientific research. But personally I think it should be kept closer to home and have a more lasting effect on the whole of society. If they do find water on the moon, who's gonna drink it?

Wishing you a day full of sunshine and a night full of moonbeams, untouched by human hands, the way, I think, the Great Scientist in the sky meant for it to be,
Merry ME

Comments

Fire Byrd said…
Couldn't agree more Merry.
Particularly as the Indian's say they found evidence of water only a couple of months ago by much less horrendous methods than Nasa.
It also begs the question who does the moon belong to that gives America the right to fire into it.
I think all PMS women should go down to Nasa anyway and give them hell.
xx

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review