NEW YORK CITY ?????

"Instead of bland, it's spicy and fragrant
with the flavors of lime and citrus
which are natural and healthy and add zing."
Elizabeth Simon



This may look like an ordinary bowl of salsa. In reality it is a bowlful of, to use the words of Sweetie a self-proclaimed salsa aficionado,"perfection". Personally I think it was a tad on the fiery side as evidenced by the smoke coming out of the ears of people brave enough to try it.

What I think is important to note about this bowl of dragon's breath is that it is homemade by little ol' ME. I used Weneki's recipe but without knowing it, apparently kicked it up a notch. I did not do this intentionally. My goal in adding the extra chilies was to add volume, not heat. I also increased the amount of onions and tomatoes and lime juice. Perhaps my mistake was in not bothering to measure anything. I got into a real chopping rhythm.

Chop, chop, chop ... toss in the bowl. Chop, chop, chop ... toss in the bowl.

I considered the project more art than science.

I also admit that I didn't stop to consider that Anaheim chilies have their own bit of spicy attitude. I thought they were the just distant wanna be cousins of the heated peppers, not the "real thing." Had I known this was not exactly the case, I may have added more tomatoes and less sizzle.

I would like to point out what you cannot see in the picture. Yes this salsa was pretty. Yes it was spicy. It's best feature, however, was the delicate seasoning of cilantro. Not any cilantro. Homegrown, right out of the garden, fresh cilantro. Martha Stewart, eat your heart out. There's a new girl on the block. She can grow it, chop it, mix it, chill it overnight and dish it up in a festive bowl. My, my, my what a sense of accomplishment.

My first attempt at gardening may not include a "wow" factor. So far the tomato plant I have hanging in a Tospy Turvy planter looks something like a sea creature created for a Japanese B movie - all legs. Sadly it holds only one ping pong ball sized green tomato which I feel sure is going to drop off the vine before it has even a hint of red. The watermelon, cucumber and squash plants could have a dose of storybook Jack's bean magic. They are growing in circles with little viney feet that cling to anything and everything in site. The fence, another plant, and poor St. Francis who is just standing there trying to add some reverence to the plants gone wild. The beans are quietly and efficiently doing their bean thing. Bottom line, not one flower or fruit in the lot. I guess that's the beauty of herbs.

Wishing for you a day full of spice,
Merry ME

Comments

Pamela Jones said…
What a delicious piece! I'll be right over -- will bring chips!

Ole!
Honey! I'm so excited! You know you wanna bottle it and sell it in the bakery!! :o)
Constance said…
oH SO YUMMMM ! Now I want your salsa with chips - right now! Ohhhh, I'm jonesing for a diet coke with lime right next to it too!
Yummy and beautiful, to share! And I love to have a beer with my salsa and chips. Yum.

I also love the previous post, the dance, the sweethearts. Ahhh.
LindyLouMac said…
Great description of the plants in your garden, are you going to share some photos with us?

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review