More Ripples

"We don't have to feel helpless.
We can help.
Our small actions together will ripple outward."


I'm so darned bothered by this whole oil spill. By the spill itself, by the news coverage, by BP, by not knowing what's the truth and what isn't, by the thought of oil covered sea life and tar-ball covered beaches, not to mention a big ol' hurricane heading straight for the mess. And I live hundreds of miles away. I can't imagine what the people who have seen it, breathed it and lived it every day since the pipe broke must feel.

But here's the thing. I/you/we can sit around and wring our hands or moan and groan about not being able to do anything or we can do something. And one something is to visit ripplesketches.blogspot.com/ again. Or if you haven't been there check it out today. I go several times a day. I've bought three pictures, which means I've donated $30.00 which means I've personally paid for enough Dawn dish detergent to clean 3 birds ($10=3 bottles, 3 bottles cleans one bird). That's not nothing! I'm doing something. Plus I've got some really cool art that I wouldn't ordinarily even been exposed to. I'm reminded of The Starfish Story - for those 3 birds I made a difference.

When I went to the site this morning, I fell in love with this drawing made by Ryan. He is 5 years old. He loves to draw and he wanted to help the fish by making this picture. It was done in magic marker and is 3.5"x2.5". How absolutely cool is that?



I know there are a kazillion people and concerns around the world that need help. I know each of us has to pick and choose which one we want to contribute to and how much. It's a personal decision most have to make with their heart as well as their head. Even if you can't donate to this cause, I encourage you to go look at the art. I find it quite delightful. It never fails to make me smile.

Wishing for you a summer day by the sea, with the smell of coconut oil wafting on a light breeze that keeps you from getting too hot as you hunt for the perfect shell,
Merry ME

P.S. Donation Details and How it Works:

Each sketchcard on this blog is $10.00. The $10.00 is a donation to help the animal victims of the Deep Water Horizon Gulf Oil Spill. Every penny is donated. The two Non-Profits that are benefitting are The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies and The International Bird Rescue Research Center. You can purchase a card if you donate directly to one of the non-profits and email me the confirmation and your address to ripplesketches@verizon.net. The artist will mail you the signed card.

Artists - email ripplesketches@verizon.net for info

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review