Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 4

Just got the password for the Internet this evening. I'm really too pooped to write much. My idea of blogging as the week progresses has come to a screeching halt. All I can think of is to crawl into bed and rest my weary feet.

The team was split into two groups today. I was in the half that finished painting one of the dorm houses - 3 women, Sweetie, and a 9 year old. After spending so much time with a paint brush in my hand last spring, it came back to me pretty quickly. We've still got trim to do which I could cause me to say "ugh" but I've learned painting is a lot -LOT - easier than what the other half of the team did. They got the concrete assignment. And it wasn't just pouring concrete. It was hefting 80 lb. bags on and off a truck just to get them to the right spot. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have lifted one 80 lb bag, let alone a whole pallet full. I'm feeling pretty grateful tonight that I didn't get picked for that team.

There is something about my appearance that makes 8 year old boys challenge my abilities. Last night when kids were running around like kids do, playing basketball and doing arts & crafts, "B" sidles up to me and says, "So Grandma wanna play some football?" It wasn't the question so much as the look in his eye that told me he didn't think I could do it. Of course he was right, but I didn't want to tell him so. Thankfully the footballers were on the other side of the field B left me coloring with the girls.

So this morning, the youngest member of our Good Goers team, Lorenzo, who has enough energy to make the Energizer Bunny look like a slacker, challenged me to do some sit ups. Then he said, "oh, you're old." Well, yes, I am old, and have some extra pounds to crunch, but I got down on the ground while Lorenzo held my feet. He promised not to laugh if I couldn't do one sit up. And I said a silent prayer I wouldn't toot. It took me three tries, but I got my top half up and over my bottom half. It's hard to know who was more surprised, me or Lorenzo.

After painting came dinner and more crafts. I got out the fabric and paints I'd brought with me. With the help of several young girls, we made a couple banners. It proved to be another lesson for me to release my need for control. When you've got kids and paint in the same vicinity of each other, the chances for a neat, orderly project kind of go out the window.

Needless to say it was a long day, but a good one. I'm grateful for Divine Intervention when it came to team choosing. I'm grateful for the feeling of a paint job well done. I'm grateful for fresh air and light sprinkles of rain. I'm grateful for this opportunity.

More tomorrow.
Merry ME

No comments: