K is for Kakapo

Perhaps, like me, you've never heard of a Kakapo. According to Kakapo.net it is "the world's rarest and strangest parrot. It is the "only flightless and nocturnal parrot, as well as being the heaviest in the world, weighing up to 8 pounds." It's kind of cute isn't it!

I googled "K" animals because I wanted to find out more about "k"angaroos and "k"oalas. It seems to me that animal names that begin with the letter k abound in Australia. I wonder why that is? Besides the aforementioned "k"ritters that almost everyone is aware of there is the also the "k"ookaburra, echidna, biby, bandicoot and quokka. I realize they are not all"K" words, but still kind of fun to say.

According to the enchanted learning website, in all of North America there is only one "K" animal - the not so well-known "k"ikjou" - a long-tailed, nocturnal mammal from rainforests in the Americas." Our native region is not lacking, however, in funny sounding animal names. Take the coypu, collared peccary, nutria or woolly bear caterpillar for example. I have to ask the obvious question, here. Who was in charge of naming all the world's animals??
The letter K also stands for "K"ey West. I've never been there, but Johnson has taken some fantastic pictures of the place. For rest and relaxation it looks like it may be a good place to "k"ick back. Check out these photos that, in my opinion, rival anything a National Geographic photographer could take. I may be a little bit prejudiced but I think my "k"id has some "K"odak talent!
Some other K words (with a little help from my sweetie):
Koolaid
kaleidoscope
kismet
king
kiss
ketchup
K-9
Kilimanjaro
kook
kiwi
kindred
Kookamonga
krypton
Kuwaiti
Kubla Khan
knock knock
knockwurst
klondike
Well, as they say down under, "good 'ay, Mates"
Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review