Manic March Monday

Chance are that any day that begins with, " M...a...r...y!!!" followed by "I need you!" coming from across the hall is not going to be a good one. But the sun is shining and I've got a brown polka dot dress hanging in my closet. How bad can things be?

---

Speaking of polka dots check out this blog that I've started following. http://ridethewavesoflife.blogspot.com/ A picture is worth a thousand words. I think the photos of Fiona's first birthday say much better than I did (see last post) the special quality of birthdays. Is there any other day of the year a person can wear poodle ears, polka dots and pink frosting and get away with it? I know what you're thinking - Fifi is one. Merry Me will be 57. Does she really believe she can get away with poodle ears?

Well, no. But it's the spirit in which the little one wears all that pinkness that I revel in. I have decided to celebrate my 2009 birthday by embracing brown. Brown, the color of chocolate cake, golden fried chicken, Girl Scout mint cookies and Sweetie's come-relax-in-me leather chair. Ah brown. Brown is beautiful!

---

Later that same day.

Called hospice.

Called family practice doc.

Went to the ER.

Waited.

Waited.

Waited.

Got diagnosis. UTI.

Got Rx. Cipro.

Came home. Ate chicken. Went to sleep.

All's well that ends well.

---

Is it possible to learn a life lesson by simply watching a dumb but strangely captivating reality show? I've given up most other shows - Big Brother, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and most of Survivor - but I'm still hooked on The Amazing Race. Maybe I just like seeing that there are other people who seem to argue over every little aspect of life.

Turn here. No. Let's go back. No. You do it. No. Do you want me to do it? No.

Last night the brother/sister team that started out in the number one spot was almost eliminated because the big brother was sure they were on the right marked path when clearly he was following arrows leading to nowhere except the top of a mountain they were going to have to backtrack. Several times the younger sister questioned the rationale of continuing on what seemed to be the path less traveled by the other teams. Finally in a fit of tearful desperation the brother decided she was right. They ran down the mountain, found the right path, found the challenge but lost a key they needed to undo the locked coffin.

I don't know about anyone else, but had I been on this team, I would have seriously considered using the stake to run through the know-it-all brother. When they jumped on the mat in front of the awaiting emcee, brother and sister were the second to last to arrive - thus still in the race. As the credits rolled the sister said she was going to have to start listening to her own gut and not always go along with the brother just because he was older and supposedly wiser and had always been the boss. Right on I thought to myself.

I was reminded of this sibling aha moment as I talked to a hospice representative this morning. Dad insisted I call Hospice before anyone else. I figured a doctor might be better choice as he wasn't even a hospice patient yet. It made more sense to me to get the problem du jour fixed then re-assess the end of life questions. Rather than listen to my gut, I followed instructions. Everything worked out okay, but I think there is going to come a time when I have to trust my own abilities. I just have to learn to think a little bit faster on my feet.

Something tells me I'm going to get a lot more practice.

Ready for a pit stop in a Bavarian mountain retreat,

Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review