Wounded Warrior Project, Part 2

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. "
Elmer Davis
I was able to get one more quilt made before my sister arrived. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. But more than that I'm feeling a big old heart full of gratitude for the soldiers who are going to be honored at the retreat coming up in September (See July 26 post.) Not just those soldiers, but soldiers in general.
I try to imagine a world where peace reigns. A world where mothers and fathers would no longer have to hug their children goodbye and send them into harms way. Where fear wouldn't keep wives and children awake at night. Where women would be safe to pursue their dreams and old men would not have nightmares of battles fought in their youth. Where testosterone-filled boys could compete with soccer balls, calculators, or rocket ships instead of AK-47's and IED's. Where govenments could spend money improving the minds and souls of their people instead of creating weapons of mass destruction. Where doctors could treat flu bugs or find a cure for cancer instead of patching up broken bodies. Where cities could build parks instead of cemetaries.
I know. I know. I'm a dreamer.
When I make a quilt I like to think about my patchwork making foremothers who turned an item of necessity into an art form. I think about the person who might curl up under the quilt I'm sewing and dream their own personal dreams.
There's a lot of love that goes into the making of a quilt. I'm honored to pass it on to someone I don't even know who sacrificed so much for ME.
Blessings and peace,
Merry ME

Comments

Fire Byrd said…
Your soldiers are lucky to have you.
xx

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review