Feeling Grateful

"Praise the bridge that carried you over."
George Colman

In the last couple of days the fire that has already burned 192,000 acres on the Georgia side of the Okefenokee Swamp jumped over into Florida. I guess that's why the air here is so thick with smoke, ash is covering the cars and it is hard to breathe. And I'm not even that close to the fire. Jacksonville Johnnie tells me it's been like this for weeks when he gets up to go to work before the sun comes up. Yikes!

Today I'm grateful for the people who fight fires. In fact I'm pretty darn grateful for all the people who put their lives on the line every minute of every day while people like me stay inside where it's cook and the air is clean when I try to decide where to hang pictures.

And I'm grateful for the ordinary people who get up every day and go to work doing the mundane, ho hum kinds of jobs that we all take for granted. When was the last time you smiled at the grocery clerk, thanked the bus driver, gave an extra tip to the person who refills your coffee cup at breakfast, offered a glass of water to the guy outside breaking concrete into little bitty pieces, shared pleasantries with the kid in the drive thru window, shook a service person's hand, congratulated a student for making it through another year, praised a teacher for the making it through another year, cheered on an athlete, comforted a mother at her wits end, shared your life story with the carpet cleaner.

Put all that gratitude together and by golly you get an Alabama song.

Wishing for you a heart full of thanksgiving,
Merry ME

P.S. I'm really, really grateful for the love you sent my way this afternoon. (See post below)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review