Fine

You know how when you ask someone how they are and they say "fine" but you can hear in their voice and body language that they are anything but fine still you nod your head and breathe a sigh of relief because you were really only asking to be polite, you didn't really want the whole story?

Or how about when you ask and do want the whole story but they answer fine with an attitude that cuts you off at the knees and makes you sorry you ever cared.

"Fine. I'm fine," I sometimes say to Sweetie.
"FINE. FINE. FINE." As in F*#!'k'd up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional.
That's kind of a clue to him and he puts down whatever he's working on and looks me in the eye and asks again.

Ahhh, but fine is one of those words that can mean something else too. Like "fine" wine which to a wine drinker can mean ooh-lala smell that bouquet. Or he looks "fine" as in Matthew McConaughey which means one might like to rub one's hands all over his fine, muscular, bare chest. Or a seriously "fine" pair of shoes which not only look great but feel great - the kind you want in every color.

Recently I've been working with an artist. A muralist. I first saw her work on the side of one of my all time favorite stores. To call it a "fine" emporium of all things delightful would be an understatement.

In an email today this lady signed her name and followed it up with Fine Artist. Kind of like a doctor might add, MD or a lawyer, Esquire. I've never seen that before and I've gotta say I like it. Clearly she is a woman who has no problem with self esteem. Clearly she is a woman who is proud of her abilities. Clearly she is not afraid to tell it like it is.

She is not a mediocre artist, or a good artist. She is a FINE artist and says so right up front. Gotta like that in a person. If she had said magnificent or spectacular or whiz bang you might think she was a tad stuck up or full of herself. But she knows just how fine she is. Good golly Miss Molly I love that.

It makes me wonder how cool it would be to add fine to my name.
Merry ME, fine daughter, fine sister, fine mother, fine aunt, fine friend, fine writer ... fine, fine, fine ....
It has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Wishing for you a fine day full of fine things that make you feel fine - really, truly fine.
Merry ME

Ed. Note: Just got this straight from the horse's mouth!
Haha! I like that description of "fine" artist. It's used often in the art world to differentiate a more formally trained artist from someone who just does arts & crafts. It took me years to feel comfortable enough to use that title for myself, but I figured after almost 20 years of experience, schooling, and practice I decided it was about time :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review