Happy Birthday Linda

"There can be no situation in life
in which the conversation of my dear sister
will not administer some comfort to me. "
Mary Montagu



My mom used to fuss at me that I'd be late for my own funeral.

How did she get to be so punctual? Was she was genetically programmed to be on time, or was it that she spent her life living with military men who ran their lives (like their ships) by the clock? If Dad had a plan to get up at say 0800 hours, then you could be pretty much assured that Mom would be up and in the kitchen by 0700. Sadly this was not a trait I inherited. When my husband wanted to be awake before the sun arose that was fine by me as long as he didn't make much noise.

My Sweetie, whom you might recall has a slight case of OCD into which category the desire to be ready to go somewhere at least 30 minutes before the announced ETD falls, has adjusted to fairly well to my slower than a snail's pace. Personally, I think it gives him time to line things up in the refrigerator or measure the distance between the plates and the bowls, so I try not to throw him off by actually being ready on time!

But this post is not really about my tardiness. It is about my sister, Linda, and the fact that Sunday past, Valentine's Day, was her birthday. My intentions to give her a birthday shout out were good, just not timely.

I don't think it is a coincidence that one of the people I love most in the world, and one who showers love on her family even when it is unnoticed or undeserved, was born on Valentine's day. Linda has a heart that is about as big as Jupiter. She is not an indiscriminate lover, yet generously hands out comforting words and hugs to anyone who needs them. She may be best known for giving sanctuary to stray cats, rescued dogs, sisters, nieces/nephews, friends of n/n, photo albums, old quilts, family heirlooms, long forgotten Time magazines, bolts of flannel, and well-loved stuffed animals.

Linda is 8 years old than I am. In most of my early childhood memories she is a shadowy figure; one of several in Christmas morning photos or family outings. By the time I was a teenager, however, Linda had become my most trusted friend. She's never not been there for me no matter the joy or crisis. We have shared family sorrows and adventures. Her memories support my memories, assuring me that I'm not all together crazy.

Linda is my favorite traveling partner. She is always up for a road trip. Over the years we've shared seats on jet planes, European trains, English double-decker buses, zodiac boats and a variety of family automobiles. We've explored the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Graceland, Savannah, Hanama Bay, The Tower of London, Amsterdam's red light district, the Na Pali coast, and Dad's Smokey Mountain roots.

For me, where Linda lives is the very definition of home. The beds are comfortable, the towels fluffy, and the food plentiful no matter what one's particular tastes happen to be. Linda and I have often talked of combining forces to make one king-sized family compound where we will live out our golden years. It will be a place where the door is always open, everyone is welcome; where cats, dogs and grandchildren can frolic. It might get a little bit crazy at times, and it won't be without heated discussions. But it will be a place where we can take naps or stay up late, play games or watch movies, laugh or cry - a place where love abides.

Comic books are full of caped crusaders who do daring deeds. Although to my knowledge Linda has never saved anyone from a burning building (she did hold a man's hand after a car accident until an ambulance arrived), my Super Sister has, on more than one occasion, brought me back from the edge of despair. She is brave enough to face a bowl of oatmeal every morning because she knows it's good for her. She can fly across country on the red-eye, arrive in a different time zone and still hold her own with Grumpy Grampy. She is strong and gentle at the same time.

Dear Sister, even though this birthday tribute is a tad after the fact, I hope you know how special you are to me. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a world without you. Happy Birthday. Happy Every Day.

Wishing for each of you a big sister like mine,
Merry ME

Comments

QnDani said…
What a beautiful love letter to your sister!! How blessed you are to have each other.

Thank you for sharing her with us all today - there is nothing in the world like the love between sisters.

And ME, you aren't late in your tribute - this is day 18 of LindaMonth - remember? (big grin)
Fire Byrd said…
Well I don't have a big sister, but I do have a little one ( 2 yrs younger to be precis!)And my sister Nicky is the best. And I love her to bits.
As I do have some OCD I spent this morning getting and wrapping her birthday pressie for next week!!!
And in 5 minutes I'm going round to her house clutching scones and jam and cream to see her for an hour just cause!
xx
Anonymous said…
Some wonderful words that I could/would have written about you, dear sister. I am truly touched. I look longingly and patiently, as I know the time is not right now, to the day when we live close where the laughs and talks and memories are more easily shared. In the meantime, you are doing wonderful things. I thank you and love you. lg

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review