Peace Quilt

Blessed are the Piecemakers


The Peace Quilt
by Margaret Rolfe
(Designed and Published in Australia)


I don't think you can get a really good look at this picture because I haven't quite figured out how to cut and paste with my new computer. I don't think it is all that difficult but I am still behind the learning curve. So let me tell you about it. The colored blobs in the center of each diamond are origami peace doves pieced together out of fabric. I admit it does look a little intricate, not to mention daunting. But as soon as I saw it, I knew it was the starting point for the quilt I want to make - with your help - to raise some money for a few charities that are near and dear to my heart.

The connection between origami (folded paper) cranes and the hope for peace came about because of a young Japanese girl. Sadako Sasaki was only two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped near her home in Hiroshima. Sadako and her family, except for her grandmother, survived the blast. Sadako grew to be an active girl and a champion runner for her school, but was struck down by leukemia when she was 11. She spent many months in the hospital before dying in 1955, at the age of 12.

While in the hospital Sadako began folding paper cranes because, according to a Japanese story, a wish will come true if you fold a 1000 paper cranes. Wishing to be well again, Sadako determinedly folded more than 1000 cranes. Her wish did not come true, but her classmates decided to create a memorial to Sadako to remember their friend and her courage and kindness. The Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima was unveiled in 1958. At the top of the memorial is the figure of a girl holding up a large crane. Folded paper cranes have come to symbolize the desire for peace in the world. At the foot of the statue are these words:
This is our cry,
This is our prayer,
Peace in the world.

The Peace Quilt's designer, Margaret Rolfe sewed the Crane blocks as she traveled around the world. Sewing was not only a soothing antidote to the stresses of flying. Rolfe sewed each block with her heartfelt desire for peace in a troubled world. *

So I have a basic idea, what do I do now? I think throwing it into the blogosphere and asking for help is the appropriate next step. For those of you artists who work with fine-tuned precision, or at the very least a plan, I need to say up front that I'm more a "fly by the seat of my pants" girl. I won't really know how this quilt is going to turn out until it is finished.

In an October post I threw out the idea of having my blog friends trace around their hands and send me their favorite peace quote. I haven't given up on this idea. In my peace memorial I envision all the hands grouped at the bottom, with the cranes somehow flying out of them. Since that plan would involve a certain degree of planning and skill that I don't necessarily possess, I could also use the hands around the edge or on the back. It would depend, too, on how many I get.

A third idea is to ask my fellow bloggers from around the world to send me pieces of fabric (say 1/4 yard) from wherever they live and/or travel for making the crane blocks. Personally I like this idea because of "patchwork" look it would produce.

With all the other things I have going on in my life - caregiving, writing, sorting baby clothes, and medicating a sick cat - attempting a project like this seems a little over the top. Which is exactly why I've become obsessed by it! What do you all think? What would be easiest for all you helpers out there?

I'm counting on the old adage, great minds think alike, to get me started. Please come back to me with your suggestions. In the mean time I've got laundry to fold and a pot of stew to make.

Wishing for you a peace-filled afternoon,
Merry ME

*The Peace Quilt, Margaret Rolfe, 2007, pg. 1
FYI: /www.amazon.com/Sadako-thousand-paper-cranes-Eleanor/dp/0698118022

Comments

Sorrow said…
Oh I think we could peace something together! This is a wonderful idea!
Constance said…
I think that peace quilt is a wonderful idea, Merry. The picture is beautful.

Here is a quote for you "The sanctuary of your heart is the location of peace" John-Roger

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review