More 12-Stepping

"I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior."
Tiger Woods

"Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs."
AA Step 5

Because Tiger made his statement near where I live this morning, the local news people have been swarming like a school of piranhas, wanting blood and pictures. One of the more profound said something along the lines of "we love to watch heroes do good and we love to watch them fail." I guess I fall into that category.

Even though I think Wood's transgressions were of a personal nature, between he and his family and possibly the people that pay him to do what he does, I was curious about what Tiger could possibly say that would even begin to get him out of the doghouse. Yeh, maybe I wanted some blood too.

Yet as he read the prepared statement I realized it took on a much deeper meaning than just saying I'm sorry. I've seen that humiliated look before, I've heard the words that choke coming out, I've felt the despair. I believe that Tiger did not do what he did today simply to get back into the public's good graces or clear the road for more sponsorships. What he did was what everybody in 12-Step recovery has to do, only his 5th Step was much more public than others.

I am not privy to what kind of treatment program Tiger is in. However, my limited experience with rehab hospitals tells me that he is in a place that uses an AA model for recovery. There are probably as many different reasons for being in rehab as there are people who enter into it. Some people may go in willingly and some may be deposited at the front door with a post-it note stuck on his/her shirt that says, "Free for the taking." Some may go to hide from their problems (or the media), and some may just be ready to expose their souls for another chance at real living. I'm pretty sure the pressure was on Tiger to get out of the limelight and do some soul searching, but like everyone else in the program he had to take the first step.

What I heard today was a broken man beginning to make amends. It may or may not be total BS. Only time will tell if the person who has been held in such esteem for his golf prowess can become the man of character his wife and children need him to be. Everyone makes mistakes. Some are more public than others. My hope would be that the Tiger Woods that emerges from this debacle is one we can all look up to for his humility, honesty, and re-built character. I doubt if being unfaithful has much to do with Tiger's golf swing, but I am sure that if he continues to work the steps, his whole life will change. He will be much more at peace in his own skin and that might make his game even better than before.

And that, my friends, is the end of my sermon.
But I'm wondering why it is that for two days in a row my higher power has placed the 12 Steps in front of me as if to get my attention. Could it be that I have some internal housekeeping to do myself? Perhaps it's time to dig out my copy of the Alanon Big Book - One Day At A Time - and do some reading.

Wishing for you people who will sing your praises when you are on top of the mountain and hold your hand when you are in the valley,
Merry ME

Comments

Sorrow said…
We are all so deeply flawed...
perhaps it is merely a reminder that no one is perfect, and forgiveness starts with ourselves?
QnDani said…
I love the steps and have twelve personal favorites (grin)one of them being the 10th:

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, prompty admitted it.

Continued to look inward, at our thoughts actions and deeds and WHEN (not if) we were wrong, prompty (not holding on, hiding, or letting it fester and build resentments) admitted it.

I believe that if the whole world practiced the twelve steps, we'd have a much better world.

But that's just my (not always) humble opinion!
Fire Byrd said…
We need to face ourselves honestly before we can change. We have to take responsibility for our own selves.
It is no good blaming others for how it is.
And maybe now Tiger Woods is on the way to be a whole person not one just playing the game.
xx
BTW thanks for surprise it arrived yesterday!
Fire Byrd said…
We need to face ourselves honestly before we can change. We have to take responsibility for our own selves.
It is no good blaming others for how it is.
And maybe now Tiger Woods is on the way to be a whole person not one just playing the game.
xx
BTW thanks for surprise it arrived yesterday!

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review