Pay It Forward

We must not,
in trying to think about how we can make a big difference,
ignore the small differences we can make
which, over time, can add up to big differences
that we often cannot foresee.
Marion Wright Edelman


This has been a busy week. Driving to Gainesville for Sweetie's surgery. Spending quality time with my favorite sister. Eating, cooking, cleaning, and eating some more. There is stuff I want to write about. Stuff that I should have been taking notes on so I can get it down right; alas I'll have to wing it. But not right now.

I knew yesterday was going to be kind of a boohoo day the moment I got out of bed. It always is knowing visits with Linda Lu are almost over. However, I was able to keep the floodgates locked for most of the day. In fact, while washing the car in the pouring rain we even laughed at the absurdity of it all.

Then I got an email, that touched my heart as if it was sent by one of Cupid's love-tipped arrows. I literally sucked in my breath with wonder, then the tears began running down my face. I had to read the email about 3 times to really get what I was reading.

Here is the gist of it. A woman from church, who unbeknownst to me is a college professor, gave her class an assignment to "pay it forward." She was writing to tell me that one of her students had heard about the Guild of the Christ Child baby shower and decided that would be her gift. She took $100.00 from her recently received (an no doubt hard earned) tax refund, went to WalMart and bought a basket full of baby items - for me. Well not actually for me but for the Guild.

Be still my heart. Out of the blue, just like that, more angel sent baby things than we might know what to do with. I swear, I just melted in a puddle of gratitude and humility. Please don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for everything we have received. But this over the top gift made my cup runneth over.

When I called the professor she told me of a few more "Pay It Forward" stories.

One guy blew leaves off his elderly neighbor's roof. Another neighbor asked if he could do the same. He waited til she was gone, then did the deed. With the money the clean-roof recipient wanted to pay him, they bought loaves of bread for a food bank.

One kid stood up on a crowded subway train and gave his seat to a woman. His mother noted he was the only "gentleman" on the whole trip.

Another did some babysitting and still another did some volunteer work. Like ripples in a pond, the giving gently touched the lives of both the givers and the getters. How cool is that?

I know my blog readers are already big into giving and recognizing kindnesses done. Yesterday I found it never hurts to be reminded. So I'm paying the message forward again.

Before we went to sleep last night, Sweetie hugged me and told me he was proud of me. For what I asked, thinking all I'd done is accept the love gifts. He said it was for having the idea and giving people a place to do good works. I don't usually think of myself as "pride" worthy. It's part of that deep-seeded less-than mentality. But every time I see baskets and boxes full of blankets and bottles and onesies and teenie weenie little socks and hats, I think to myself, "Girl, you rock!"

Wishing for you a heart filled to the brim with gratitude for the things you give and the things you get,
Merry ME



Comments

AkasaWolfSong said…
And...unbeknownst to you Merry ME, you paid it forward with me, in that, you cheered my writing on. That is huge for me! I just wanted you to reeeally know that, get that waaaay down deep.

Now I'm going to pay it forward...

I love it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review