NaBloPoMo - Day 8

"Life is partly what we make it,
and partly what it is made by
the friends we choose."
Tennessee Williams



A note from Weneki on November 8...

Oh happy day, KDub!!! I am so lucky to call you, friend! Here's to you, Gorgeous Girl! I raise my glass to you. To your generous spirit. To your love of movies (romantic and action-packed and everything in between). And flowers. And dark beer. And whiskey. And tea!! And the power of now. And the phrase "poop poop peedoo." And glassy babies. And quilts. And tasty meat. And stories of love. And HGTV. And pink pens. And your amazing fam. And your silly dogs. And the Oscars. And Hawaii. And cute clothes. And men in kilts. And cake frosting. And lunch getaways where we solve all the world's problems while nibbling the smallest bag of tater tots.

You are the bravest of brave.
Hardest of workers.
And very kindest of friends.
You make me laugh, and really see me (one of the most wonderful gifts you can give someone).
So, so happy to have you in my world.
Happy Birthday!!
Love, Weneki

Since I have been less than social for the past few years, most of the people I'm really close to live in the Blogosphere. Our words and feelings have brought us together, not work or kids or workouts at the gym. In fact the other night I had a very weird dream (which is not so unusual of late) in which I was sitting in this circle of women. I was bombarded by lots of family stuff, but I kept sitting in the circle cause that's where I felt the most comfortable. There was also cake involved somehow. Maybe in celebration of my loosening some of the dysfunctional family chains that have kept me bound up.

I sometimes live vicariously through my daughter and people she calls friends. Ever since she was a little girl Weneki has made good choices about the people she liked to be with. She has conversations with friends she knew in high school. The years in between don't seem to matter. They just pick up where they left off months or years earlier. Today she shares a lot of her time with a group of people who have weathered many of life's storms with her. They have supported and encouraged her, wept and laughed with her. They were there when her heart was full and when it was broken into a thousand pieces. And, since friendship is a two-way street, I'm proud to say Weneki gives as well as she gets. I hate being so far away from her, but I know she is well cared for.

Kathy is one of the first people Weneki met when she went to work in Seattle 17 years ago. This has been a hard year for Kathy. But from all reports she's flown over each hurdle with courage, fortitude, and a smile. The caregiver in me wants to hop on a plane and do something to help. The woman in me marvels at Kathy's strength. And the mom in me is grateful she is my daughter's friend.

So today I'm using my blog as a place to shout out Happy Birthday to this special lady. If you know Kathy feel free to leave a comment. If you don't, well comment anyway! Or why not take a moment to call someone in your life who brings you joy. Tell them what their friendship means to you, that they make living in this crazy world a whole lot easier.

Kathy,
Here's a birthday blessing for you from ME!

May God give you…
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

Today I'm grateful for friends old and new.
Wishing for you a day filled with the gift of friendship.
Merry ME

Comments

K-Dub said…
I really do need to get some waterproof mascara. What a lovely lovely gift - thank you! Here's to another year of life's adventures, made all the better by sharing them with dear friends!
AkasaWolfSong said…
Happy Birthday Kathy!!!! I hope warm friends surround you on this your special day...I also wish for you a new year filled with peace and beauty and someone to share it with. Have lots of fun and do be daring! :) Life is meant to be lived with passion, lol! Many, Many Blessings,

Akasa

Miss Mary...I'm going to take this moment to let you know that you bring me Joy! I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Down in my Heart!

Radiant Blessings Dear Heart!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review