More Mom Memories

"Pleasure is the flower that passes;
remembrance, the lasting perfume."
Jean de Boufflers

I opened my eyes this morning to the sight of my sweetie standing in front of the mirror tying his tie. I'm not telling any tales if I let on that he is a tiny bit "anal". You know pens and pencils lind up in a row; underwear drawer stacked neatly, briefs never touching T's; grocery coupons cross referenced by use and alphabetical order. This man is all about neatness. (Just like me!) Need I say when it comes to tying his tie it is a task he does not take lightly?

Is it just me, or does anyone else out there like to watch a man shave or tie a tie? I'm guessing Dr. Freud would have a field day about the psychological meaning of such. Just so you don't think I'm really weird, I can assure you I don't get any kind of sexy feelings when I watch these procedures. Neither do they make me think of my father in some Greek-like Oedipal way. I just think there is something about the observing that calms me, makes me feel connected.

I can remember having the same warm fuzzy feeling watching my mom prepare for a cocktail party. With her hair still up in tight pin curls she'd expertly apply her make-up. Nearing the end of this rare but practiced toilette, mom would slip into a red chiffon dress that her daughters covet to this day. Donning her crystal star earrings and necklace was a sure sign she was almost ready to greet Dad at the back door, chilled martini in hand. All it took to finish was a light spray of 4711 on her pulse points, and, my favorite, the application of her lipstick.

First she'd pucker up, just a little to straighten out any lip lines that might make the lipstick smear. Then carefully as Michaelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel, she'd move from one outer corner, up to the top lip cleavage. She'd carefully repeat the same on the other side of her mouth. By smacking her lips together just the tiniest bit, she'd prepare her bottom lip for full coverage. It would sometimes take two swipes of the color stick but when she was finished her mouth was neatly outlined and shimmering red that perfectly complimented the dress. A final blot on a tissue and she was ready for looking pretty and kissing little ones goodnight. The kiss left a painted lip mark on our cheeks. Mmmmmmmm ... I can almost feel her feathery-light lips now.

Funny how memories pop up when you least expect them.

Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review