Countdown to Christmas - Kindness


"The joy of brightening other lives,
bearing each others' burdens, easing other's loads
and supplanting empty hearts and lives with generous gifts
becomes for us the magic of Christmas."
W. C. Jones
I spent the morning cleaning the kitchen. It really wasn't on my list of things to do but the dry wall dust made it mandatory. It was kind of a pain, yet at the same time it felt good to be moving. I can't say it sparkles but I know it's clean from top to bottom. Good Job, Cinderella!
After cleaning, Sweetie and I made our first of the month trek to the grocery store. So now, on top of having a clean kitchen, all the cupboards are full! This is a very good feeling indeed.
A few weeks ago Sorrow posed a question that has kept me thinking. "Now that you've seen the invisible people," she asked, "what are you going to do about it?" About the only answer I can come up with is to respond with kindness when I see an opportunity.
Yesterday I passed a person sitting on the sidewalk in the rain surrounded by 3 shopping carts overflowing with what must have been the accumulation of all this person's possessions. I noticed a nurse (a person in a white lab coat) talking to the person. A couple hours later the person was in the same spot. (I think it was a she but I don't know that for sure.) She must have been soaked and chilled to the bone. Someone was still talking to her, but I think it might have been someone different.
When I got home I had a conversation with Sweetie. I wanted to go back with a blanket, or a thermos of soup. Something, but I didn't know what. Reluctantly I went about my business and left the person in the hands of someone else. I didn't feel exactly right, but I wasn't sure what would.
This morning Sweetie was buying donuts. He noticed a young couple looking at the sweet confections and counting a handful of change which probaby would not suffice. At first he walked by and got into the car ready to leave. Then, remembering our conversation and Sorrow's admonition, he went back and offered the couple enough money for a few donuts for breakfast.
Christmas time can be a stressful time. Rushing here and there, searching for a parking place, standing in line on tired feet. Sometimes all it takes to change a Grinch-like feeling to one of contentment is do a random act of kindness. You may not be able to shelter all the homeless, or feed all the hungry. But every now and then you can reach out and touch someone's life with a pleasant smile, a kind word or a sugary little treat.
Wishing for you the sweet satisfaction of a compassionate and generous spirit,
Merry ME

Comments

Anonymous said…
I haven't done the type of kindness too often that Sweetie did this morning, but when there is the opportunity and you take it, the feelings you find you have probably far outweigh the gratitude of the people you helped. We should all do this more often. Those were probably the best donuts ever for the young couple. Thanks for the reminder that little acts of kindness are some of the best. lg
Fire Byrd said…
Lovely lovely post.
And I can't tell you how much your reaching out to me means at this moment, it is priceless and so valuable. So although I can afford my own dounuts (UGH horrid things!)I can't hug myself the way that you are doing.
xx
Anonymous said…
"Horrid Things?" Ouch; we're talking an american staple here.
-:)
After this incident, I decided to do a "Deed A Day." I've got a calendar marked off and the process begun. I realize that by starting a few days into the month I have some catching up to do - but what is life without (minor) challenges? Speaking of which; let me lay down the gauntlet and challenge every reader of Marys blog to do the same thing. a deed a day. Wow, I wonder how many deeds we can accumulate? jdc
RE; Our children. I believe the best we can do is stand by them, in thick or thin - be a positive influence to their visions and dreams - Love them, unconditionally.
Sorrow said…
Deed day?
smile
I look forward to when the entire world acts randomly at every moment with love.
But deed day works for me!
(((HUGS)))
Give your sweetie a kiss for me, he sounds like an angel!

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review