Countdown to Christmas - Festive Flowers


CREDO AT CHRISTMAS
Daniel Roselle

At Christmas time I believe the things that children do.
I believe with English children that holly placed in windows will protect our homes from evil.
I believe with Swiss children that the touch of edelweiss will charm a person with love.
I believe with Italian children that La Befana is not an ugly doll but a good fairy who will gladden the heart of all.
I believe with Greek children that coins concealed in freshly baked loaves of bread will bring good luck to anyone who finds them.
I believe with German children that the sight of a Christmas tree will lessen hostility among adults.
I believe with French children that lentils soaked and planted in a bowl will rekindle life in people who have lost hope.
I believe with Dutch children that the horse Sleipner will fly through the sky and fill the earth with joy.
I believe with Swedish children that Jultomte will come and deliver gifts to the poor as well as to the rich.
I believe with Finnish children that parties held on St.Stephen's Day will erase sorrow.
I believe with Danish children that the music of a band playing from a church tower will strengthen humankind.
I believe with Bulgarian children that sparks from a Christmas log will create warmth in human souls.
I believe with American children that the sending of Christmas cards will build friendships.
I believe with all children that there will be peace on earth.

I believe at Christmas time poinsettias are nice. As are bright red Amarylis bulbs blooming tall and proud. However, after receiving a bouquet from my sister, I have to say red and white tulips, with a bit of fir greenery thrown in, top my favorite list for holiday flowers. They really are quite divine. Who knew tulips weren't just for springtime?
Thanks to you Linda Lu.
Wishing you the flower of your choice to brighten up your day,
Merry ME

Comments

Annie Jeffries said…
Tulips in December! How unexpected is THAT? Must be those lower latitudes. Amazing.
Molly said…
I love the tulips and in fact forgot to look for flowers at the grocery store this morning. The bridge girls will have to understand ;)

I quite like this recent spate of photos of real goings-on!
Fire Byrd said…
Do you know that if you just pierce the stem of a tulip under the flower head with a pin on one side they will stay upright for longer.
And if you have an amyrillias 9bad sp I know!) flower you need to sellotape around the base of the stem so that it doesn't suck too much water up and lasts longer.
And finally if you cut roses on the slant, slit the stem about 1/2 inch, cut off the thorns and leaves they also will last longer.
And never put daffodils in a vase with other flowers it causes the daffs to die.
So ends the lesson for tonight!!
xx

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review