Countdown to Christmas - Christmas Eve

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
It came without ribbons. It came without tags.
It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."
Dr. Seuss



This afternoon I was treated to the sight of my very own Santa, (aka Sweetie) as he loaded up his sleigh (no reindeer, but a great sun-roof) with gifts for his GAL kids. In his typical fashion (a little on the OCD side) he made several lists and checked them over and over again. Finally last night everything was marked and ready to go. Today he drove all over town delivering things to these kids who have sort of stolen his heart, even though he's not supposed to get attached! Between feeding homeless people, contributing to a church food drive, and shopping for some pretty need kids, I think Sweetie and I have done a great job of setting the tone and living out the meaning of Christmas. I must say it feels pretty darn good!


Dad and I went to church tonight. The Hispanics know how to liven up a service. We sang the traditional Christmas eve carols - O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night and Hark the Harold Angels Sing. But interspersed with a children's choir where the soloist forgot most of the words (it was priceless!) and liturgical dancing we also sang a few rousing choruses of Cantemos (a traditional Venezuelan carol) and Feliz Navidad! I had to look twice to make sure Jose Feliciano wasn't in our midst! Also, I've never heard a preacher get an ovation for his homily! The pomp and circumstance of a "high" mass was missing, but not the message. The story of Christmas always gives me goose bumps.


You may not believe this, but I've still got presents to wrap. What was supposed to be a night of quiet contemplation is surely going to turn into something just short of an all-nighter with paper and bows and ribbons all over the floor. I kind of wonder, since it will be there again tomorrow morning, if I could do away with tonight's step and put bare boxes under the tree.





Na, that would be way too Grinch-like.





And we've already got a bit of a grinch stand-off going on so I better make my own gaiety while I can.

Tonight I wish for you time to be quiet; time to listen for the sound of reindeer paws on the roof, or the sweet sound of a baby's peaceful sleeping, or angels singing, or a merry Ho! Ho! Ho!

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,

Merry ME

Comments

Sorrow said…
My very very dear Post mistress delivered me a precious parcel at half past 6 today.
It was very very sweet of a wonderful soul to send me an angel, to watch over me and mine.
May your day be full of bright blessings ME...
(((((HUGS))))))
Molly said…
Love the Grinch/Dr Seuss quote...love the grinning elf...love hearing about the church service.

Christmas blessings to you and yours.

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review