The problem with today's kids ....

I hooked back up with the Belchers this afternoon for a couple of hours of Christmas shopping at what Jacksonvillians consider one of the biggest malls in the country. Or maybe it only seems that big because it is like walking from Jacksonville to Orlando. Regardless of the size it was totally packed with people. The line in Abercombie was out the door, which was a good thing because the music would have driven me out in a matter of minutes.

Each of us had a place we wanted to go, but, as luck would have it, everyone okay a quick visit to Barnes and Noble. Robert wanted to check out some "rock and roll," Laura was looking for a CD by someone had recommended, and I was hoping to find a copy of John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album. We all went in different directions.

I headed straight for the Christmas music. A young and energetic sales girl offered to help me. Thinking I would save some time, I said asked where I'd find John Denver. She looked at me and without blinking an eye said, "Denver? How do you spell that?"

I was momentarily startled then I started to chuckle. The girl went straight to the computer to look up John Denver as if he was of Bing Crosby vintage. As soon as I turned to continue my search elsewhere the girl got about as far as D-E-N-and gave up! I wonder if she would have had difficulty spelling the Gorillas?

What, may I ask, is the world coming to?

Merry ME

Comments

Sorrow said…
the problem with todays kids is the same as when i volunteered at the peanuts school,. I used the word "ebb" as in Ebb and Flow....
the 5th grade teacher said " well thats a fancy 5 dollar word, now whats it mean honey?"
ebb...
yeah.. thats a really really big word. So big the 5th grade teacher didn't know what it meant.
Guess why kids can't spell Denver...
not like it's a city some where...

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review