Gratitude - Day 5 Addendum

I took myself out for a walk. My hip screamed at the idea of walking very far, but I did it anyway. I had barely stepped out of the garage when I was hit by the sweet smell of freshly mown grass. I wrote on my hand - better than a post-it note because it doesn't fall off - I'm grateful for grass.

Living in Florida, I take grass for granted. Even in the winter it stays a pretty shade of green. It is sometimes covered by frost, but never lost under layers of snow and sludge. I love green.

I have never forgotten something a friend in high school said that seemed a little corny at the time but quite profound now. She said she wished someone would make a candle that smelled like mowed grass. Mmmm. It's a nice, clean, earthy smell. It's a feel good smell.

Somewhere in Africa, Kenya I believe, maybe the Sudan, maybe both, there is a drought going on. No water means no farming, no grass, no food for animals, and, obviously, no drinking water. It's grim.

So as we come to the end of a day that has been filled with tragedy across the country and very close to home, I am zeroing in on the little things. Before I go to sleep tonight I will pray for peaceful hearts and homes. And I will say thank you for the green grass that grows on both sides of the proverbial fence.

My you be comforted tonight by something green,
Merry ME

Comments

terri st. cloud said…
i've just now gotten over to read your gratitude posts. it was really kinda cool reading them all at once....they made me teary and they reminded me of so many things....

gratitude....it's a powerful force.
thanks for posting these and putting gratitude right there in my face.

i love you.....
Fire Byrd said…
Green mown grass, freshly baked bread, good coffee, spring flowers, the ocean on the breeze.
simple but wonderful things to be grateful for.
xx

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review