Gratitude - Day 29

"Touch the earth,
love the earth,
honor the earth.
her plains, her valleys, her seas.
Rest your soul in her solitary places."
Henry Beston



I'm grateful today that this month is almost over. However, blogging every day has been more joy than burden. Sometimes (often?) I am just rebellious enough to want to break the rules and do my own thing. Having a theme has been easier for me than I expected. I can't say that my entire outlook on life has changed because of gratitude but it has improved, if only for the time I'm writing. Part of the trick of gratitude is awareness. Another important aspect is also holding that awareness in your consciousness long enough for it to make a difference.




We say grace every night before dinner. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Some nights it's heartfelt to look at all the blessings before me and give thanks. Some nights I sassy enough to just say "Grace" and dig in. During this month of gratitude, at least I've slowed down some. Stopped to see the roses as well as smell them.


Today was the first day in 3 years that Fr./Brother Georges was not in church with us. It made me a little sad as I missed his big smile, bear hug and delighted voice saying, "Hello my sister" in his unique Syrian/Italian/Spanish accent.


There is something special about him that speaks more than his broken English. He is first and foremost a man of God, there is no denying that. He takes his job very seriously but does not flaunt it. He showed me what it is like to be humble and forgiving. He showed me that it is possible to be angry and not have steam come out your ears. Every time I see him together with my father he shows me how to love unconditionally.


Georges went to another church in our diocese so he isn't moving away. He is still an adopted member of our family. He'll be around to talk to, laugh with and feed for awhile. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something else will come along. If it does, I'll be face with saying a goodbye that make me cry just to think about it.


There is a saying that goes something like people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. I think maybe the Divine One put Fr./Brother Georges in my life for all three. For this I am blessed and grateful.
Wishing for you a quiet place to count your blessings and a friend to share them with,
Merry ME

Comments

terri st. cloud said…
what a gorgeous picture of you!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review