Gratitude - Day 15

"The thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessing."
Henry Ward Beecher



Today I'm grateful for people who know how to listen. Those special ones who stop what they are doing when they sense you've got something you need to get off my chest. Listeners don't just hear what you are saying, they take it in. They are quiet, yet focused. They acknowledge what you've said but saying it back to you to make sure they heard right. They encourage you to speak from your heart by saying something along the lines of, "you look like you need to talk" or "I'm here if you need me." They wait patiently until you are through with your rant without interrupting with their own thoughts. When they sense you are finished they check with you by saying, "this is what I heard, is that right?" or "is there more?"

Driving down the road today for a little retail therapy I thought about how important it is to me to not only speak my truth but to have someone listen. This is the gift of many trusted therapists. Last night my own personal coach, aka Sweetie, waited for me to open up about how I was feeling. When he could sense that I was shutting down instead he gently and tenderly encouraged me to trust him. And I did. I spewed out my anger and frustration and grief and pain like verbal vomit. He listened. I cried and cussed. He listened. I took a breath and he waited. It was just what I needed.

You'd think it would be easy to listen, but it is really quite an art.

Wishing for you someone to listen when your heart speaks,
Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review