Gratitude - Day 27

"Everyday, think as you wake up:
Today I am fortunate to have woken up.
I am alive.
I have a precious human life.
I am not going to waste it.
I am going to use all my energies to develop myself
to expand my heart out to others for the benefit of all beings."
His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama



This has been a very quiet day that I've used for re-writing a story I first penned right after my mother passed away. Today, I'm grateful for the gift of story-telling and hope to get better and better. It would be nice, too, if I could get faster!



Like most things, when I get caught up something, everything else gets put on the back burner. I look around the room where I've been sitting and it's clear the only way it's going to get picked up is for me to put this computer in a closet, lock it up, and give the key to Sweetie til it can pass inspection. Of course I will do nothing that drastic, but I could at least clear off the couch so that there is room for someone else to join me without impaling themselves on the telephone. I'm grateful I'm not held to a stricter code of cleanliness.



I'm also grateful that my sister sent us home with enough leftover turkey and ham for some delicious sandwiches this afternoon. I don't usually get too excited about leftovers, but turkey I think is as good the 2nd day as it was the first.



Most days I bemoan the fact that I don't have a magic pot of money from which to draw. At the end of the month my checkbook is pretty well emptied out. For this, on Black Friday, I am grateful. Since I am easily persuaded to do things that are not always in my best interest, I'm grateful I have not succumbed to the television ads and the stack of newspaper circulars drawing attention to gigantic money-saving sales where I would spend money I don't have. I'm pretty sure there is not anything I want badly enough to wrap myself up in blankets and sleep on the sidewalk outside a store until the doors open and people rush in. But I always feel like I might be missing something. Tonight, the news shows will be full of stories about the shopping madness and I'll be grateful I stayed home. That said, I might sneak out after dinner to pick up one or two items just to say I helped out the economy!


Wishing for you good food in your tummy, warm socks on your feet, and $$$ in your wallet,
Merry ME

Comments

Molly said…
a belated happy Thanksgiving! Do you know I've never shopped a Black Friday?

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review