Gratitude - Day 23

"Happiness is the spiritual experience of living
every minute with love, grace and gratitude."
Denis Waitley
Most of my readers will remember that Christmas before last I came across a small book that made me laugh out loud. Before the shopping season was over I'd bought around 30 Pig of Happiness books and given them to everyone I know plus a few I don't. The pictures crack me up; mostly the simple story goes right to the heart of peace and joy. It doesn't have to be the holiday season to heed this message, but it is a good time for the reminder.
So imagine my surprise and excitement to find the PoH author, Edward Monkton, now has a web site. Checking it out this afternoon made my heart open up like a tulip on a sunny spring day. It made me laugh all over again. So it's no surprise that finding this fun little site is on the top of today's gratitude list. See the post below, and be prepared to smile.
On a much different note, I am also grateful to be able to say that even though I don't see my kids very often, they are alive and well. They are responsible, kind, funny, enterprising adults who make me proud. Today I held a man in my arms who lost his son earlier this month. His pain was palpable. He says his wife is even worse, filled with guilt for not doing something more or different. It must be a universal mother's instinct to feel guilty when her child, even a grown child, hurts. An aorta aneurysm, however, is way more powerful than even a mother's love. I pray the day will soon come when she can accept the truth of that.
I've experienced a lot of loss, sadness and grief in my life. In the words of Churchill, I know that the only way through hell is to keep going. I know that the passing of time will somehow relieve some of their pain. I also know that you can't say that to someone who is grieving (though some people do). All you can do is put your arms around him and let him cry. I'm grateful I was able to do that.
And one more thing.
Please read Sweetie's comment on my previous post. We discussed it last night. For me, the jury is still out. As a GAL he's seen a lot more of the "real" world than I have. I can understand what he says about his kids not even knowing what gratitude is, much less feeling it.
However, I like that Eisenstein says "[gratitude] informs our deepest spiritual intuitions." Maybe it's my Pollyanna nature, but I want to believe that each of us has the potential for heartfelt gratitude. It is part of our divine spark, born in our cellular makeup. What do you think?
Wishing for you a day of happiness and gratitude,
Merry ME

Comments

Sorrow said…
it's a mystery isn't it?
what blooms to make some people more grateful than others.

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review