Gratitude - Day 8




Real life isn't always going to be perfect or go our way,
but the recurring acknowledgement
of what is working in our lives can help us
not only to survive but surmount our difficulties."
Sara Ban Breathnach



Shed Making - Part 4

Today I am especially grateful for the completion of the shed from hell. Sweetie hurt his back last go round so were at a bit of a stand still. This afternoon the weather was perfect, not too hot with a nice breeze. In other parts of the country autumn is all about falling leaves. In Jacksonville a nice breeze means falling acorns. So as Sweetie stood, drill in hand on a ladder he also had to dodge acorns, some of which were like teeny tiny missiles.


With both of us feeling good we picked up where we left off and didn't have too much trouble. Screw, washer, drill. Screw, washer, drill. Nut, washer, bolt, drill. Well, you get the picture. At the back of the shed we discovered that the whole thing is slightly out of square, which of course means that the roof is slightly out of kilter. Sweetie looked at me and I applied a tried and true Ellington-ism ... it's close enough for government work!


After lying in the dirt to take a picture, I felt something biting me on the butt. Just a small spider, my helpful checker outer proclaimed. SPIDER! Of course all I can think about now is the possibility of having a brown recluse bite on my ass. By tomorrow morning, I may not have an ass at all! Will this be a bad thing?



As we neared the end, fastening the last of the screws, I was on the ladder taking dead aim with the drill, Sweetie was holding three layers of sheet metal together. Whirr! Whirr! Whirr! Then calm as could be Sweetie says to me, "uh, could you get the screw out of my thumb?" Yikes! Then he started laughing and I called him a nasty name. Between the flesh-eating bite on my butt and a bolt through his finger I figured we were going to have to spend the rest of the afternoon in the emergency room.


But all is well. The project is complete. It it already packed full of old paint cans, and rusty drain snakes. If it were up to me I'd throw the crap away and leave the shed empty. I know however that as soon as we throw something away that will be the something that Dad hasn't seen or used in 30 years but wants, and wants now.


When I was up on the ladder I had time to think about the ladies who went to work in factories during WWII. Struggling as I did to put the nut on the end of the bolt, I figured I would not have made it as Rosie the Riveter. I have no musical talent to speak of unless I'm in the car with the windows rolled up and the radio turned up loud, then I sound quite a bit like Tina Turner. Had I chosen to join the army back then, I would not have made it in the band either. I finally decided I would have been the girl in the USO who passed out donuts, coffee and cigarettes. It was not the toughest of jobs but someone had to do it!


Another thing I find myself being grateful for is answered prayers. I don't know the details and I hate to jinx it, but it looks like Father/Brother Georges may be given a church right here in Jax. There has been some very serious talk about him leaving the country and going back to Italy. That made me sad to even think about it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the today's rumor is true.


Lastly I'm really grateful for a bed to crawl into. I'm tired enough to go to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Actually, I'm grateful for the pillow also. When I think about the people who will go to sleep tonight on the ground - no bed, no pillow, and maybe no blanket I must admit I am blessed beyond measure.


Wishing for you someone to hold your ladder, someone to joke with you, and someone to lay his/her head down on the pillow next to yours,

Merry ME

Comments

Fire Byrd said…
thanks for the wish at the end, does my teddy bear count?
Good to know the shed is sorted.
xx
Sorrow said…
And so the shed saga comes to an end..
Amen.
Congratulations Rosie jr!
~smile~

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review