Gratitude - Day 30


Feeling gratitude and not expressing it
is like wrapping a present and not giving it.
William Arthur Ward


I was just over at the NaBloPoMo site and the few lines I read indicate that a lot of every day posters have already finished the assignment. Being the kind that swings from over-achieving (finish early) to under-achieving (typing right up to the last minute) for once I seem to be stuck right in the middle!


Today I'm grateful for a few things.

First of all, for my son, KeyWest Johnny. Today is his 36th birthday. I wish he was here so I could give him a big hug and make his favorite dinner. It's been too long since I've seen him up close and personal.


I can remember vividly (which in itself is a reason for gratitude) the night I sat in a big 12-step circle with other people who were all there for the same reason - relief, understanding and hope. A man I didn't know told this horrendous story of his child's behavior that ended up with a shouting match and police sirens. Then he said, "but I'm grateful for that because otherwise I never would have found this group."


Grateful? I thought the guy was crazy. In fact I thought everyone there was crazy! It took me awhile to figure out I was as crazy as they were!


My point is this: even though having a son may have caused my hair to turn prematurely white and may have driven me to the brink of madness at times, I am so grateful for the son I have. From the day he was born, Johnny was a square peg that I tried to push into a round hole. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get him to force him into being something he was not. I think I did not only him, but me, a disservice. He has become a man I can be proud of. Happy Birthday, Johnson.


Today I'm also grateful for my vet. She is very tender and caring with me as well as my pets.


And I'm grateful to all of you who have read my month long thank you note. May you know gratitude. May you speak gratitude.


Wishing you a quiet and peaceful night,
Merry ME

Comments

Molly said…
I have enjoyed your gratitude posts...they have been inspiring me to think about what i have to be grateful for even though I'm not posting about it.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday, Keywest Johnny. I wish we could be with you and give you a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday. Know that I am thinking of you and hoping you are well and happy. auntlg
Sorrow said…
Yeah YOU!
you made it!
Is it or should I say was it your birthday???
just reading the other comments!
Loved your gratitude posts as well, they were wonderful!
~big smiles~

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review