Gratitude - Day 5

"I thank You God for most this amazing day;
for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;
and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes."
e.e. cummings



To be honest I'm finding it hard to be in a place of gratitude today. After many tears and deep sighs of relief, after too many prayers to count and two sonograms that said the baby was doing fine, Sweetie's daughter-in-law had another miscarriage. There are no words to say how painful this is. Perhaps if you've experienced it, you have some idea. I'm an outsider looking in on a family that barely gets back on its feet when another blow knocks them down. It is incredibly hard to watch.

Understandably these kids go underground to grieve their losses in private. Sweetie, on the other hand, will find some comfort in pretzels, chips and salsa. He told me this morning that it is no longer acceptable to "do nothing." Yet there is really nothing any of us can do to mend this couple except to be there when they are ready. I believe Sweetie's son knows that. Like watching that couple earlier this week mourn their son, I wanted to do something to help them feel better, to make me feel better. When life hurts one, it hurts us all.

My plan this morning was to get up and clean the house. I got as far as throwing open the windows for some fresh air and running the vacuum before my motivation ran out.

So where does gratitude fit into this day? As I was cleaning the kitchen floor I had thought about those pilgrims who participated in the first Thanksgiving. Somehow, after all the hardships they'd been through, they decided to give thanks for a good harvest instead of mourn their many losses. Where did that strength and faith come from?

I have some Pilgrim blood in my veins. I am determined to feel thankful for something today.
I've decided to take a walk around the block. I'm going to look for beauty and blessings in my midst. I am listening to John Denver as I write this and I must say, just hearing that man sing about sunshine makes me weep with a full heart.

I hope you are grateful today for the things in your life that you might take for granted. And if you have any gratitude left over, share it with those who cannot see it for themselves. We all get to a place when we can use a helping hand. If you reach out today, I know someone will do the same for you tomorrow.

Resting in the knowledge that even though we may not see it, the Divine Architect has a blueprint for each of our lives. But still feeling sad,
Merry ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Miracle

Holy Moly

Book Review